An example for all of us.
What I love more than anything is witnessing the kind of great parents my brother Troy and his wife Ann are. They have raised some amazing kids who are grounded, humble, and hard working. It's obvious that they have instilled values in their children that will last with them for the rest of their lives. Ann and Troy, like many good parents, have spent way too many hours at football, basketball, and baseball games. They have also loaded my parents into the car and have taken them to the same games with them.
One thing I absolutely admire about my brother is the small notes he writes every single morning for his family. Sometimes it is just a game plan for the day, others it might be a list of chores for the boys to complete. Regardless the content, the message of love is always present. When we stay, he always writes a note for us too. I tell my kids I love them all of the time, but I'm not a note writer. Maybe I should be.
As an educator, how hard is it to write a few small notes to our students each week? I complain that I just don't have enough time, but I could easily write a few small notes(or tweets) each week to my students. So, I'm saying publicly, next school year will be the year of troyness. I will take the time to write a word of encouragement to every one of my students. I have 150 students, which means I need to average a little less than one a day. Better yet, I'm starting this summer while I do have time. Thank you Troy for being the example that I need!
Comments