Blown away by a classroom observation
Today I fell in love with education all over again as I watched an amazing teacher comfort, encourage, and sometimes correct my 7yr old. As parents of a Montessori student, we are required to do at least two observations during the school year and today was my day. Through a two way mirror built into the classroom I observed my son as he finished recess, had a complete meltdown, and finally was calmed enough to do a grammar lesson. If you do not know what a Montessori school is, check out the above link. The brief explanation of what a Montessori school is that it is a one-room school house type atmosphere with a mix of ages and abilities.
My son is very sensitive and if he is focused on a task he must finish before he goes on. Today he was working a puzzle when recess ended and another student started tearing his puzzle apart before he could finish. He had a complete meltdown, but his teacher immediately came over and started comforting him. She understands that sometimes he just needs a hug and an understanding shoulder to cry on. She got him to calm down and was able to get him into a lesson within a couple minutes of his breakdown. This may sound like a normal part of a teacher's job, but knowing my son this was truly impressive.
When I arrived there was a sheet taped to the door to help with the observation. The guide sheet recommended paying attention to the child’s independence, social sense, responsibility, and individuality.
I was impressed by what was happening in the classroom. However, at the end of the observation I was more impressed by the care of not only the teacher, but of the other students. When my son got distracted when he was getting his notebook, an older student lightly guided him back to his table and made sure he got back to work. I do not know how many of the above things are to be observed in a traditional school, but they all should be. I've seen how my son struggled in public school. This is a much better place for him.
Comments